I’m doing CBT for health anxiety and it’s helping a bit. I’m researching GERD and realise when I overdo it.
Like a whole bag of grapes and Prozac made me contemplate all sorts of things I do not want to thing about ever again. Without remedying both acid reflux and anxiety, either can provoke the occurrence of each other through a cyclical effect.
This time the outcome has not been so good. The GI doctor I saw prescribed two different medications. I was having bad reaction to the medicine and felt the only thing the GI doctor was doing was medicating me.
I am 22 years old and 6 months ago I was diagnosed with GERD. As a teenager I was always stressed, as I was living with an abusive step father. I suffered with panic/anxiety disorder along with depression.
He told me I had a virus. Finally, I told him I feel silly about complaining, but I have constant headaches, stomach aches, a hard time eating and drinking, and a lack of general energy. I always had stomach aches as a child. As a young adult, the heartburn became like an inner furnace in my chest.
I do believe that after so many years of this confusion of stress and fear of MVP it wrecked havoc on my body. As the years went by and still not understanding, more and more physical things would happen to me.
- I was diagnosed with a peptic ulcer.
- However, treatment may be necessary if the hernia is in danger of becoming strangulated (twisted in a way that cuts off blood supply) or is complicated by severe GERD or esophagitis (inflammation of the esophagus).
- I’ve been able to conquer a lot of my original anxiety problems.
- Home care for hyperventilation syndrome is only for people who have been told by their doctors that they have hyperventilation syndrome.
- I am 27 years old, quite a stressful year At the back end of last year selling my house and taking on a demanding job but all seemed fine… then the start of this year is when it all started I was away on holiday when I got a call my best friend had been taken into intensive care obviously a big shock but I still seemed fine while on holiday, upon landing back in the country I went straight on the 5 hour journey to see her, now I’m not great with hospitals as it is!
- As a teenager I was always stressed, as I was living with an abusive step father.
Symptoms of GERD include a sensation of burning rising up to the neck area (heartburn or pyrosis), swallowing difficulties (dysphagia), and chest pain. Not uncommonly, symptoms can be vaguer, such as irritability (in infants), fatigue and malaise (feeling bad). GERD is a common condition in children and adults. Not sure if anyone will see this. I do have issues with major anxiety.
Most of us experience acid reflux on occasion. When we swallow food, it travels down the esophagus into the stomach where stomach acid helps break down food.
While there is an extensive evidence base suggesting an association between irritable bowel syndrome and psychiatric disorders , associations with GORD are relatively poorly researched. GORD and mental well-being have been examined in both gastrointestinal and psychiatric-based clinical care settings with reports of increased likelihood of GORD amongst depressed individuals [9, 10] and increased risk of mental illness including depression and anxiety , neuroticism  and psychological distress [2, 3, 13] amongst GORD sufferers.
Many people find that nonprescription antacids provide temporary or partial relief. An antacid combined with a foaming agent helps some people.